Island Heating Assistance Program
If you are an island resident and need emergency assistance to help with heating fuel, the Island Heating Assistance Program (IHAP) may be able to help.
To request assistance, please call the Deer Isle Sunset Congregational Church, 348-6602 and speak with pastor Amy Vaughn. If IHAP has funds available, we can provide up to 100 gallons of oil through your usual fuel dealer.
- Call 348-6602 and talk with Amy Vaughn to request assistance. (The voicemail is confidential if you need to leave a message.)
- IHAP provides emergency assistance. You should be at or below ¼ of a tank before requesting assistance. Deliveries are not made on the weekend, so please watch your fuel level.
- IHAP will begin considering second requests for assistance after Feb. 1, 2018 if funds remain available. Those requesting assistance for the first time will receive priority.
- IHAP encourages everyone who requests emergency assistance to sign up for LIHEAP through Washington Hancock Community Agency. Call 664-2424 to request an appointment. This process takes 4-6 weeks or longer.
- IHAP can also provide assistance with propane, wood, or pellets if used for heating.
- The 2017-18 winter season opens October 15 and will close April 15 or when the program is out of funding, whichever comes first.
Other sources for fuel assistance:
- Call 664-2424 (WHCA/Downeast Community Partners) and request an appointment for LIHEAP (Low Income Heating and Energy Assistance Program. This process takes 4-6 weeks.
- Downeast Community Parnters also administers a THAW fund that sometimes has emergency funding available for fuel. Call 664-2424.
- Contact your town office to request general assistance.
- Joe-4-Oil typically offers heating assistance later in the winter. Call 1-877-JOE-4-OIL to request a voucher after they open for the season.
- Visit efficiencymaine.com for information and resources to weatherize your home and maximize energy savings.
- Window Dressers (windowdressers.org) reduces fuel costs by addressing leaky windows with inserts. Free or reduced cost inserts may be available. Local contacts are Jo Jacobs or Skip Greenlaw.
To make a donation to IHAP, please mail a check to:
P.O. Box 383, Stonington, Maine 04681
Contributions are greatly appreciated and are tax deductible. 100% of funds received go directly to pay for heating assistance. The Deer Isle Sunset Congregational Church and Bar Harbor Bank and Trust cover all of the overhead and administrative expenses.