Island Heating Assistance Program
If you are an island resident and do not have funds to pay for heating fuel, the Island Heating Assistance Program (IHAP) may be able to help.
To request assistance, please call the Deer Isle Sunset Congregational Church, 348-6602 and speak with pastor Amy Vaughn. If IHAP has funds available, we can provide up to 100 gallons of oil through your usual fuel dealer.
- Call 348-6602 and talk with Amy Vaughn to request assistance. (The voicemail is confidential if you need to leave a message.)
- IHAP provides emergency assistance. You should be at or below ¼ of a tank before requesting assistance. Deliveries are not made on the weekend, so please watch your fuel level.
- IHAP will begin considering second requests for assistance after Feb. 1, 2015 if funds remain available. Those requesting assistance for the first time will receive priority.
- IHAP encourages everyone who requests emergency assistance to sign up for LIHEAP through Washington Hancock Community Agency. Call 664-2424 to request an appointment. This process takes 4-6 weeks and sometimes longer..
- IHAP can also provide assistance with bulk propane if it is used for heating.
- The 2014-2015 winter season will close April 15 or when the program is out of funding, whichever comes first.
Other sources for fuel assistance:
- Call 664-2424 (WHCA) and request an appointment for LIHEAP (Low Income Heating and Energy Assistance Program. This process takes 4-6 weeks.
- WHCA also administers a THAW fund that sometimes has emergency funding available for fuel. Call 664-2424.
- 1-877-JOE-4-OIL (1-877-563-4645). Joe-4-Oil provides 100 gallons of fuel oil. This program typically opens in February for the season and takes 4-6 weeks to process. Click here for more information.
- Contact your town office to request general assistance.
To make a donation to IHAP, please mail a check to:
P.O. Box 383, Stonington, Maine 04681
Contributions are greatly appreciated and are tax deductible. 100% of funds received go directly to pay for heating assistance. The Deer Isle Sunset Congregational Church and Bar Harbor Bank and Trust cover all of the overhead and administrative expenses.